Thursday, July 14, 2011

He's 3 Today!

Three years ago today at around 12:30pm my little man, Donovan, arrived.  It was a rather uneventful delivery into this world.  He was a scheduled C-section, so we essentially "picked" his birthday for him, rather than nature doing it for him.  We had the choice between July 14 and July 21; Mondays were the "scheduled C-section" days for my OB/GYN. I, of course, picked the 14th because who wants to be pregnant 7 extra days when you already are 38 weeks pregnant?

Donovan was actually scheduled to be delivered around 11:30ish am.  However, the Physician Assistant assisting my OB/GYN had a mild heart attack right before they were suppose to get started.  So I guess you can say it was a bit eventful!

It was a nice sunny day and the delivery was easy - they just gave me a spinal block and away things went.  I got to talk to Jon and the doctor the whole time and didn't miss much.  I actually felt pretty good.  If I had to do it over again, the planned C-section is the way to go!




So today is Donovan's 3rd Birthday. For many this isn't really a huge "milestone" birthday.  For Donovan, every birthday is a milestone, but the #3 is somewhat important.  When we found out that he had pulmonary valvular stenosis (PVS), we were told that if he can get to the age of 3 without any invasive intervention to attempt to correct the problem, then he would be looking at a 10% probability that he would need a procedure to correct it.  Here we are at age 3!  We have made it this far without any heart procedure or surgery.  I wish I could say that him turning 3 wipes away worry, but with our luck and Donovan's body - 10% is still a pretty high percentage to just eliminate worry all together.  Also, the cardiologist that was monitoring Donovan while he was in the hospital in February indicated that PVS in people with Noonans Syndrome is different than the "average" PVS population.  So the 10% may very well not apply and that getting to 3 years old might not matter in his case.  Nothing like deflating the excitement of my son turning 3!

I am excited though that he turned 3.  I'm happy for every minute I have to share with him on this glorious place we call earth!  He might drive me batty or be going through the horrible 3s - but I love him "to infinity and beyond"!

Donovan has been pretty excited about turning 3 for a long time.  He has been waiting for his birthday for weeks.  He was wide awake at 7:30am and waiting for me to open his bedroom door because he knew there was a box downstairs from his grandparents.  He knew that when he woke up today he was allowed to open it.  Little did he know that there were quite a few presents waiting for him in the family room from his Mom, Dad and sister!  He was one happy dude when he saw all his presents.  Yes, my child is spoiled.  He's so easy to spoil because he is so grateful for everything you give him.  He'll open a gift yell, yahoo, and then say thank you.  It doesn't matter what it is.  Just makes giving him gifts a huge pleasure!  Today was no different.



I am so grateful for his 3rd birthday.  We've had days where we were wondering if 3 was going to be a reality.  When my child stopped eating, when he landed in the hospital because a bleeding disorder took over after he had a simple medical procedure.  He is here, alive and well, and is one crazy little dude!  Just the way we want him to be.

Happy Birthday to my favorite little boy in the whole wide world! 

I love you Donovan to Infinity and Beyond!

Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Big D! You had a rough year and am hoping you had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete