Friday, July 15, 2011

A Mom's Love

I'm writing this blog because a part of my heart aches and writing helps me process my feelings.  I'm going to be vague about what I share to protect identities.

I know a Mom who is going through a rough time these days.  Actually I think life has been full of hurdles for her but she's a person that always sees the rainbow, silver linings and humor in life.  She has no idea how much of an inspiration she is to me.

This Mom has three children, all boys.  It was fitting that she had boys because down deep she was a "tomboy" and could probably relate better to boys!  For example, she taught me how to fish as a child!

Boys do boy things and often times boys get into trouble.  Most of the time the trouble is simple passage through life "stupid decisions" and you live and learn by these mistakes.  She has one son that just had a hard time finding his place in life.  As an adult, he began to make really bad choices.  Choices that changed his life in not so good ways.  Choices that have affected every member of his family.  Through all of this, he's had one person who has been willing to stand behind him and hold him up - that person is his Mom.  When everyone else has casted him aside, she still holds his hand through it all, because he is her son and she loves him and wants to help him through this rough decade of his life.

This Mom has been criticized by many for not "tough loving" it.  Everyone has an opinion on her son's situation and how she should handle things, yet not one of these people have walked in her shoes with their own child.  I don't understand how people can judge others when they clearly are not playing in the same playground.

Her son has done some pretty bad things. He has spent time in prison, rehab, prison, rehab - the cycle continues to play out.  This week he hit the proverbial rock-bottom, I've thought he has been there already but this time the bottom dropped even further.  His Mom is just devastated.  Her heart has hit rock bottom too.  As much as she wants to be angry and walk away from the situation, she can't she is his Mom and she loves him more than he'll ever realize.  If only he could hold onto her motherly unending "love" to bring himself around and to clean up his life and make amends for all his bad choices.

My heart just aches for her.  She is truly a wonderful person, wonderful mom and huge inspiration to me. She has shown me that through bad days, you can still find the "giggle" in life.  She has taught me that I am stronger than I think I am, especially on the days you want to throw in the towel.  She has taught me to be a more compassionate person.  She has taught me that parenthood doesn't end when your child does "bad" things.  She has taught me that a Mom never stops loving or caring about a child no matter what.

I pray that the load lightens.  That her son sees the bright side of life and corrects his focus to wanting to be a good person through and through.  He is a very good person, just a person that has made choices that weren't so good.

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.  I have a feeling some Devine Intervention is needed to make things better again.

No comments:

Post a Comment