Monday, June 9, 2014

Bis zum nächsten zeit ...

This blog is dedicated to my German Daughter, Zarah and her wonderful family.

Often times you need to open up your circle to invite new experiences in.  I'm somewhat of an adventurer, I do like to go to new places, meet new people and do new things.  Ten months ago  my family and I opened up our circle and invited in a young lady from Germany to immerse herself into our family.  I'm not so sure "immerse" is the right word - lets say she stole a bunch of hearts, tattooed them with her impression and gave them back to us in grand order.

Today we closed a chapter in our lives … and it was much like a novel that you never wanted to put down and never want to end.  You gamble when you host an international student for a school year.  Some people had rough experiences but ours was magical.  We had a wonderful experience and it spilled over into meeting her family and having the good fortune of having them stay with us for a long weekend.  I now see why Zarah was such a wonderful person, she comes from wonderful parents.

The hardest part of this experience was to see my 5 year old son and 7 year old daughter sob as Zarah's car drove away.  Zarah was their big sister for 10 months.

I knew it was going to be difficult today, I asked Donovan the other day if he thought he could handle a very long plane ride to Germany?  He said YES with such enthusiasm.  I then said to him, "well mommy and daddy will need to start saving some money for a plane ticket", to which he replied, "you can use all my money in my piggy bank"!

So Zarah, Karin, Michael and Alexa …. Bis zum nächsten zeit ...

No comments:

Post a Comment