Sunday, August 12, 2012

Frog Jumping 2012

Four years ago we followed our long time curiosity of a sign that read - "Valley City frog jumping capital of Ohio" while riding down Rte 252.

Jon did a little "google" research and low and behold every year the 2nd Sunday in August is the Frog Jumping Festival in Valley City.  After reading up on the Festival, Jon was like "man we have to try this out".  We were baffled at how many people jump frogs and how they make this a serious part of their Sunday.  Many people collect their own frog and proudly compete, others "rent a frog" from a pool of frogs that are caught during the week before the festival at various ponds and rivers in the surrounding area.  Each frog is returned to its rightful habitat upon completion of the festival in an effort to preserve the ecosystem.

We had a hoot our first year.  Such novices we were.  We rented a frog named "Tinker Bell" or "Aurora" or something princess or fairy like.  Of course we lost, but we embraced the small town fun and vowed that we would return the following year - and we did!  Last  year we actually almost "bowed out" because it decided to monsoon that day.  Jon and I sat in the car and we went back and forth on whether or not we should participate or scratch it.  Finally, we decided that we only live once, lets go have us some fun in the rain.  And we did, and we never regretted getting soaked from head to toe.  We laughed, all 4 of us, and as we all know a good laugh is so very good for the soul!

Friday midday, Jon and I caught us a frog.  Actually, I did all the frog catching, he just stood their in aw at how persistent and talented I am!  Thinking - "damn, I married me a keeper!" - much like the frog I caught.  He was a keeper too!


So our frog here, was our house guest (along with Grandmom and Grandpop H) this weekend.  We purchased this nice little container.  I put in some rocks the kids and I collected last summer from the Rocky River and we stopped in at Petco and purchased 6 crickets and I stunned a fly that was in my house and the frog had himself a little feast!  Life couldn't get any better for this frog.  All he had to do was sit himself on a rock and the food was handed to him practically on a silver plater!  I must say though, the frog was the perfect house guest.  Never made a sound, and kept very much to himself.

So this morning I gave the frog a pep-talk.  Encouraging him to do his very best and that is all I ask of him.  Yes, a trophy would be swell, but really all we wanted and expected from the frog was for him to do his very best and if that meant only jumping 4 feet instead of 11 feet - then that's okay!  We'll just chock it up to having some fun!  So no pressure Mr. Froggy!  No pressure!

We get to the festival around 11 something in the morning.  Confirm our "sign-up" and get our flight numbers, purchased us some awesome t-shirts ….



…. and head back home to get the frog.  Our flight was several hours later so no need to spend the whole day at the festival and we wanted to make sure our puppy, Loula Mae, wasn't left home for too long by herself.

Donovan and I were in flight #23.  I gave the frog another pep-talk.


When it was our "flight's" turn.  I grabbed the frog out of the container and he was a squirm jumpy little fellow.  I was so pumped.  I was thinking, we actually had a shot because he was all legs and all jumpy.  I calculated it out in my head and I thought, yeah, he can do 12 feet if he really tried.

Then they called a little break and we had to stand there a couple of minutes before our frogs could jump.  My frog was starting to relax snuggled between my cupped hands.  I could feel his heart beat slow down as if he was relaxing.


We get to the jumping circle ….


the frog doesn't move but 6 inches …


He stalls and I am forced to blow on his backside since you're not allowed to touch him and smacking the ground around him wasn't working.


I sat up and pleaded with him - "please, please just two more jumps and you are done.  You can do it really you can do it."


He gave me two more feeble jumps and we called it a competition.



He went a measly 4 feet - something inches.  No chance of a trophy when the frog ahead of you goes 11 feet.  Sigh.


Fortunately, we had a second opportunity to allow him to see what he could do as he was also competing in Flight 25 for Jon and Norah.


Jon optimistic that with his Kermit the Frog hat, the frog would be encouraged to want to show his "idol" that he's a super star frog jumper!


Jon, Norah and the frog enter the circle …


and yet again …


the frog under performs.  Jumps a mere 3 foot something inches.

After our flights, we drove to the pond and brought the frog back to his home and family.




We each said our little goodbyes to the frog and thanked him for his hard work today and told him how proud we were of him and his efforts ….



I set him down on the rock, and he hesitate ….


Before diving in ….


and he stopped in the pond just a few feet away from the edge ….


Goodbye my little buddy!  You made me laugh, you taught us all a lesson in friendly competition and that winning the big trophy wasn't our goal but having family fun was.  We may not have won a trophy today, but you won my heart and I hope we didn't traumatize you too much these last several days!

Oh, and by the way next time you see me …. don't turn your back to me because this might be your fate once again.


1 comment:

  1. LOL! we might have to go to this next year, we have plenty of frogs too! ;)

    ReplyDelete