Thursday, August 30, 2012

Brand New Friend

September 5th will be the two month anniversary of my introduction to my puppy Loula Mae.


I loved a dog and she was my best friend - but we had to put her down over 18 months ago.  My beloved Zoey was more than a dog, she was my best furry friend.  She was one of those friends that didn't care what mood you were on any given day, she still loved you unconditionally.  I had some rough days while she was in my life and like a true best friend she always knew exactly what to do.  She knew when to leave me be and she knew when to hug me and kiss tears away from my face.  She took care of my Norah making sure she was safe and let her jump on her, sit on her and hug her.  Even when Zoey was feeling the worst ever, she still did what she could do to comfort me in my sadness.  She was an angel stuffed in a dog's body.  She was given to me to be my friend.

I learned a lot from Zoey.  What true friendship is all about.  That you give without expecting anything in return and how to love fully and unconditionally.

I still miss her very much to this very day.  Which is why we waited until I was ready to get another dog.  I had to make sure that I could separate all that Zoey was and not expect that from another dog, as that would not be fair to the dog that followed in Zoey's shadow.

After a lot of research and having the good fortune of stumbling upon a website of a breeder that really truly cares about the animals he breeds - we decided on our puppy and we waited 10 months to embrace her and bring her home.

Our puppy's name is Loula Mae.  My son named her after Pocoyo's dog Loula (Nick Jr. show).  "Mae" came as an afterthought because I was having a hard time embracing the name Loula and Jon threw in Mae as a joke.  It stuck and the name fits.  We do call her Loula for short though.

She's been the ideal puppy - the proper mix of sweetness, obedient, naughty and crazy.  She's very smart - already house broken, knows the commands, sit, down, come and paw.  She walks 90% of the time perfectly on a leash.  She fetches a ball - only if you make sure you bring a bag of treats to reward her!

She loves the kids!  And the kids love her!

She has taken a special liking to Donovan - which makes me very happy!  As Donovan grows older and life gets a little more challenging, I know he'll have the unconditional love and undying friendship from Loula Mae.


The other day I looked at Loula Mae and I saw Zoey's face.  I know it sounds a bit weird, but when I looked into her eyes I felt like Loula Mae had transfigured into Zoey.  She does have some of Zoey's quirks (good I might add) - like having to do her #2 business on the perimeter of the yard.  Although there are things about Loula that remind me of Zoey - Loula Mae is her own dog.



Loula Mae is needy, cuddly and spitfire'ish.  Zoey was calm, independent and obedient.  Zoey was given to me to help me get through the rough part of my early Momhood - she was a strong pair of doggy shoulders that I needed.  I think God planned her exit so that I didn't have to worry about Zoey so that I could focus on Donovan's needs.  Of which were many and very important.  She did her job well and I felt lost without her after the dust settled.  But in reality, her exit was a blessing in disguise.

I find it interesting that out of the litter of puppies from which Loula Mae came from, she was the only girl.  It was like she was hand picked for us!  She's needy and needs to have the physical comfort of her master (who happens to be predominately me) - so snuggle time is a must.  Something Zoey never liked to do - she liked her space.  I thought it would be more difficult to get use to but I must admit I like the evening snuggles.  And again, the snuggles are important for Donovan.

After two months, I can say with confidence that Loula Mae is my brand new friend.  I love her dearly, even when she tests my frustration level!  She has a big heart and loves 100% unconditionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment