Friday, September 16, 2011

Goodbye Summer 2011 ... as always, I'll miss you!

I am a Spring/Summer person.  I love Spring because it marks the beginning of blossoming trees and flowers, longer days and warmer weather.  I can tolerate Winter for just a few weeks, preferably around the Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year holidays and then I'd be happy if the weather turned to Spring weather the day after New Years!

I love sundresses, sandals, bare-feet, sunshine and the warm sun.  I much prefer to be by a swimming pool then being cooped up in a house all day long.  Or shoveling feet of snow!

In the last 10 or so days we went from 90 degree weather to upper 40s.  This is the tell-tale sign that Summer is taking its "final curtain call"!  The days have gotten infinitely shorter.  I remember tucking my kids into bed not too long ago and the sun was out in all its glory and now its made itself scarce past 7:30pm.

We've moved the dial from "cool" to "heat" on the thermostat.

This summer was an "odd" one.  Not sure why it was so "odd" but it just didn't seem like a normal summer to me.  I had grand expectations and didn't deliver very well on my bucket list.  However, I look back and review what kinds of things I did and it surprised me that it all happened this year.  I guess this is a sign of me getting old.

Our summer started early as we made an early vacation to Disney World in mid-May to capitalize on the fact that Donovan was not yet 3 years old.  And being under 3 years old he was FREE!  It seemed like so long ago but in reality it was just about 4 months ago.

My niece had a wonderful wedding, and both my children were in it.  That was the early part of June!

Norah had her adenoids removed mid-June and then 3 back to back weeks of summer activities followed  after her week long recovery!

Jon and I went to a fabulous benefit dinner, with some co-workers and clients at our National Park.  It was a night I hope to relive again next year!

Jon's brother and sister-in law and niece arrived for a long awaited visit for the 4th of July weekend.  It was so much fun to reconnect and watch how my niece and my daughter became fast buddies!

I have no idea what happened to July?  The whole month seems like a blur to me.  I think I spent a fair amount of the month silently lamenting the fact that my daughter was going to be in school all day 5 days a week.  I tried my best to do some fun adventures with the kids on the days it was so darn hot outside.  That's the downside to our summers - hot and humid.  Rarely does it seem like we get pleasantly warm (you know warm enough to go to the pool or lake and swim) and sunny.  Just hot, humid and the sun is unbearable.  But for some reason, I love summer and can't get enough of it!

August came and we did the mad scramble of trying to complete the last of the summer things we wanted to do before Norah started school on August 17th.  Jon and I celebrated our anniversary and ....

Just like that - summer came and went!  Sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment