Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Gift of Time

Cancer is an "elephant in any room".

I've posted about my Godmom back in late 2012 having stage 4 brain cancer.  I'll begin by saying, after  7+ months post diagnosis she is doing very well, looks great and staying strong in her conviction to be here.

She talks about dying a lot, and it saddens the people who love her and makes them feel uncomfortable.  A very normal reaction, I would say on both sides of the table.  As hard as it is for all of us to hear the reality of things to come some time down the road, she needs to remind herself and to keep things front and center and for all of us not to lose sight that we all don't have all the time in the world. That time is a gift.

I hate the fact that we live on opposite ends of the State and that I have to plan time to visit.  Winter was not kind in my house with viruses, so I certainly didn't want to visit my Godmom who has a compromised immune system given she's on chemo treatment every 3-4 weeks or so.

I Facebook posted to her that I wanted to visit and when would be a good time for me to do that.  With working full-time, I only have weekends at my disposal.  She was so excited that I wanted to visit but I never got the chance to connect with her and iron out a date.  One of her sisters, in her infinite wisdom, contacted her niece (my 2nd cousin) and suggested they invite me to a family graduation party.  

The date of the party worked-out and I was able to surprise my Godmom and her sisters with a visit from me and my family.  We had so much fun and I'm so glad that we made this road trip work!

I worry that time is finite for my Godmom - I don't want to regret not spending as much time as I can with her to laugh and enjoy her company.  Her initial prognosis has been questionable at best - but the doctors are pleased at how well she is doing and haven't given her a timetable (or at least she hasn't shared this info with me).  Hoping that God, through all our prayers and the help of medications, can keep her healthy and around for much much longer.  And that her quality of life continues to be good.

So I thank God for allowing me the opportunity to spend more time with her and for giving me a lesson on "time" is a gift.  And to seize moments while you can.

My Godmom, Me and Jon
(Doesn't she look fantastic?!)



No comments:

Post a Comment