Saturday, December 8, 2012

It's the Simple Things that Mean the Most ...

Less than 90 days ago I started my career all over again after taking a break to raise my kiddos for 6 years.  I missed my working days but didn't want to miss those special milestones and being able to shape my children to be good human beings.

I didn't realize how much I missed working until I went back to work.  I love getting up and going to work and coming home feeling I made a difference and stretched my brain to limits they haven't been stretched to in a long time.  I love the hugs and kisses when I drop the kids off at their respective spots in the morning.  I love 5-10 minutes in the morning while sitting in the car waiting for Norah's bus and we play 20 Disney Questions or I-Spy or just chat.  I love the special kiss I get on my hand from Donovan before I leave his school in the morning.  I love that he wants a kiss on his hand and rubs the kiss all over his cheek!  I love the bear hug we give each other.  Its all I need to motivate my day!  I love that we pass Norah's bus in the morning most days as we drive to Donovan's school and we wave madly and blow kisses like crazy and we all have goofy smiles on our faces!

I love the squeal of joy when Donovan sees me when I arrive at the school to pick him up!

One thing I love though is that I have a job.

This week I was starting to fall out of the "honeymoon" phase - typical office/co-worker frustrations that we all face.  No place is exempt I've come to realize - had a little amnesia I suppose!  I didn't really say anything to anyone being the new-bee I certainly didn't want to come across as unhappy or ungrateful.

On the day where I think my frustration hit its peak - my boss (Pres/CEO) says to me "I meant to tell you this earlier … I wanted to let you know that you are doing a great job and I've had a lot of people tell me how good you are doing.  He then says to me "the best part is all the compliments were unsolicited".  That was all I need to hear - some "kudos".  I felt appreciated and I felt like I belonged!

Yesterday we had our work holiday party.  With that apparently "gifts" from the company are bestowed upon employees.  This year it came in the form of a monetary bonus.  Something I hadn't anticipated getting given I'm a very new employee with less than 3 full months under my belt.  My boss apologized for the "small" bonus (it was small) and he seemed a bit embarrassed by it.  I looked at him and said, I'm just grateful I was even considered in the bonus pool to begin with.  What I wanted to say to him and should have said was "the compliments he gave me two days earlier that I was doing a great job and my co-workers were happy I was part of the family - was really all I needed to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment