Saturday, November 17, 2012

Politics Take 4?

Ok, the dust has settle from the recent Presidential Election.

I've kept my mouth shut for the most part.

I'm going to come out of the closet and say …. "Yes, I voted for Obama"!

Some of you it might come as a surprise but I've given my right to vote a very long hard thought.  I didn't jump on a bandwagon of sorts, I sifted through what was important to me and determined what candidate had the same value system as I did.  Knowing that either side of the ticket wasn't going to meet my values 100% percent  or be "perfect"- I had to pick out what values I thought was important for the here and now.

I look at where we were 4 years ago and realize that today my family and I are better off in so many ways.

  • I had a company approach me about a job. I had to wait a long time for the job, but in the end the job became mine and I started when it was most convenient for me.  
  • My son has a lot of medical issues that are now considered "pre-existing" conditions - Obama's plan realizes how segregating people with pre-existing conditions can be detrimental to proper healthcare, let alone "good" healthcare.  We can't afford to have a clause that increases premiums or negates my son's ability to get medical care for things like his "heart", "bleeding disorder" just to name two.  
  • We can afford to send our kids to a private school.
  • We have been able to take vacations.
  • My husband recently purchased a new car, a Ford Flex.  A car that exceeded all my expectations on a vehicle and "It's an American Made Car".  Something my husband has never purchased in his life.  Had there not been a bail out of the auto industry, who knows this vehicle might not be sitting in my garage at the moment.
I don't take my right to vote lightly.  There have been years where I have not voted because I didn't think I was educated enough on the candidates so I felt I shouldn't vote because an uninformed voter makes mistakes!

I am not married to any political party.  I don't' agree with all the things on either side so I am more of an "independent".  I vote for the person I feel is most aligned to my thinking.  In this case I could relate to President Obama and he won  my vote.

The week leading up to the election and the days post election I got to see sides of people that frankly made me cringe.  Comments made on Facebook that made me wonder if I lived among a bunch of bigots.  I'm not without bigotry thoughts myself, (and just so I'm clear - bigotry doesn't refer to black and white races - it means intolerance to those who have different beliefs) anyone who says they don't harbor any are lying.  But at least, I keep my comments to myself or share them with my husband if they are truly off color.

Yes, our houses are less valuable then they were the day we purchased them.  And yes it "sucks" big time.  I'd love to move from where I live.  I won't take a hit on my house so here we stay and we suck it up.  Fortunately, we live in a nice home so the "sucking it up" isn't so bad.  And my parent's live down the street so I have someone to watch my children after school until I get home from work.  I just wished we had not purchased a home in a subdivision.

Today, it's a sunny cool day.  The sky has yet to fall since the election results.  The stock market is still stable.  Life is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment